Advanced stem cell therapy uses your pet’s own stem cells for treatment. This is called Autologous Therapy– when the stem cells come from your own body’s tissues. There are no ethical or moral concerns with the use of stem cells from one’s own body as these cells are adult and not embryonic. The advancement in technology is that we are merely utilizing the body’s own regenerative capabilities with our proprietary treatment.
Stem cells are powerful healing cells in your pet’s body that can become other types of cells. There are many adult stem cells in fat tissue, however they are asleep. Stem Cell therapy allows your vet to isolate stem cells from your animal’s own (autologous) fat tissue, wake them up, and reintroduce them directly into damaged areas. For example, in the case of arthritis, stem cells can become new cartilage cells and have natural anti-inflammatory properties thus reducing pain and increasing mobility.
Stem Cell Therapy FAQ’s:
- What happens to my pet when they come in for stem cell therapy?First, your vet will put your pet under general anesthetic. Then, he/she will make a small incision and collect 2-4 tablespoons of fat (either in the belly or behind the shoulder blades). MediVet provides on-site training for each clinic that brings on Stem Cell treatments; the process ensures your pet’s cells will be isolated and activated in a proper manner.
The surgical time requiring anesthesia is typically less than 30 minutes. The cells are isolated, activated and re-administered on site so that your animal can go home same day.
- How long does a treatment last? What happens if my pet starts having trouble again?We typically see about 18-24 months of relief after the initial treatment and even longer when treatment is sought at earlier stages. Most pet owners chose to bank cells, so re-treatment is easy and cost effective. MediVet has banking facilities in Kentucky, Australia and Europe. If symptoms return, your vet merely requests a dose of cells from the bank, and injects them. No surgery is necessary.
- What is so great about Stem Cell Therapy?Stem cells treat the source of the problem by becoming new tissue replacing damaged tissue. Other treatments, such as NSAIDs, merely attempt to reduce symptoms. The treatment is very low risk, because it uses the animal’s own stem cells. With MediVet’s technology in a recent study conducted by four independent Veterinarians over 95% of animals treated show improvement. For pet owners, there are two main advantages to MediVet.
- First, the processing is all done in your vet’s office, so no worry about losing or damaging the sample during shipment.
- MediVet allows your vet to complete the entire procedure in one day, making it very convenient for you and your pet. While all companies are equally safe, MediVet has the highest reported success rate greater than 95%. When comparing side by side, vets are choosing MediVet because of the superiority in technology and on-site training with support.
- What conditions do you treat?Our typical patient has osteoarthritis (hip dysplasia, degenerative joint disease, calcifications, common degeneration and inflammation), soft tissue injuries (cruciate injuries, tears, ruptures, inflammation), or needs accelerated healing of fractures. We know a lot about these conditions, and over 95% of these patients get better, with MediVet’s Stem Cell Therapy. We also treat other cases under “compassionate use”. We know less about these conditions, but are seeing some exciting results. Some of those conditions are: degenerative myelopathy, feline gingivitis, end-stage renal disease, liver and kidney failure, allergy, auto-immune, inflammatory bowel disease, pulmonary fibrosis, IMHA, atopy, and spine trauma. Please talk to your vet if you have questions about any of these conditions or would like to submit your animal for a compassionate use trial.
To learn more about how stem cells can help your pet, call us today at (502) 895-8100.